Monday, January 31, 2005

Copyright, my ass!

Intellectual property will be a recurrent topic on this blog. It is central to this post, which is about an opinion written by Chief Judge Carolyn Dineen King of the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals. It sounds serious so far, doesn't it?

Well, D.J. Jubilee was apparently serious when he claimed that his copyright on his song 1997 "Back That Ass Up" had been infringed by Juvenile's similarly-titled hit of the same year. I found much to love in the "financial news" article on the case, but I was particularly enamoured of this bit:

Nathan Gisclair, a partner in New Orleans' Montgomery Barnett Brown Read Hammond & Mintz who represents D.J. Jubilee, says the opinion is disappointing -- it gives little guidance on how plaintiffs should litigate cases such as this one in the future.
Future cases such as this one? I look forward to them!

I became aware of the case via this post on Boing Boing a few days ago. I hesitated to re-blog something that had appeared on such a (deservedly) popular blog, but just couldn't resist. Now, I should make sure before I publish this that I remembered to put the comma in the post title...