Friday, February 25, 2005

Tagging Tales

Here are a bunch of thoughts and links on tagging. In order to describe or categorize a post to this blog, I can associate one or more tags with the post. For example, when I recently posted about Jason Kottke giving up his day job to work full-time on his blog, I tagged the posts kottke. Tools such as Technorati allow search of the blogosphere by tag.

I started writing this about a week ago, but was lucky enough to get overtaken by a couple of posts that put things a lot better than I was probably going to. Here's all I had a week ago... Tagging is a hot topic in early 2005. For example, February has already seen an article at Salon, and a post on the Business Week tech blog.

More recently, I've seen this post, which provides an excellent introduction to Technorati tags: what they are, how to use them, why they're good, some problems, etc. Then there are posts all over the place about the more general concept of folksonomy. I've just linked to the Wikipedia entry for it, which provides a definition and links galore. I think I'll leave it at that for now. Apart, of course, from tagging the current post...

Tags: , , .