Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Poster and Technorati

This post may be another member of the "haven't I read about this on lots of other blogs already" club, but I wanted to say a little about the recent episode of Niall Kennedy, the poster he posted, and his employer.

Niall was struck by the resemblance between current corporate concerns about what employees might reveal on their blogs, and wartime worries of the "loose lips sink ships" nature. He found this propaganda poster and edited it to include the logos of some popular blog publishing tools. He then posted his handiwork to his personal blog.

Soon after, he unposted the poster. It began to look as though he had done so under pressure from his employer, Technorati. Many who read about this, including me, started to think of Technorati as some blogger-censoring villan. That's not a good image for a firm that describes itself as "the authority on what's going on in the world of weblogs."

I now think that this is a complex case of an employee blogging on a work-related subject in such a way as to cause legitimate concern for the employer. If this sounds interesting to you, check out the posts by Niall Kennedy, by Technorati CEO David Sifry, and by Jason Kottke. I think that all three of them come out of it well.

Tags: , , .

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Murphy said...

Hi. I was just surfing and found your blog. Cool. Maybe you'd like to visit my black light poster site.

2:57 PM  
OpenID hosting-web said...

This is really innovative and a new idea, I like this concept and the way it is carried out in so light and cool manner. I concur with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your future  updates.Web Hosting Solution

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Back to main page of this blog