Monday, April 11, 2005

Blogging Globally, Linking Locally

I've been using StatCounter for a few weeks now. Here are a few observations on the data I see. First, it's fun to see folks from many different countries linking to this blog.

Second, the post that has probably been most popular is a rather local one. It's the BlogMap post. Much of the traffic to it came via a post I made to Universal Hub. If you don't know where the hub of the universe is, you're obviously not from Boston. When I made those posts (the one to this blog, and the one to UH), my BlogMap told me that there were 25 nearby blogs. Within a few days, that number almost doubled. I felt like Johnny Mappleseed! I am aware that not all the additions to the map were due to me, but given the dozens of people who followed the link from UH to this blog, I suspect that many of them were. There are now 57 nearby blogs on the map, by the way.

Third, thanks to Colleen for linking to me from her Open Notebook. I am flattered to find this blog in the same link list as Halley's Comment and kottke.org. Colleen's blog is fun to read, and I feel that someone who does not discriminate against dandelions or ants is probably a good human being.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful invention it is, this thing we call the Internet!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Dunks said...

More a question than a comment:

StatCounter - Can you offer some comment on getting that working on blogspot?

I keep getting javascript errors when i copy the code to a) my subtitle, b) a new post. (But i have got it to work successfully on a few other websites i do - so i'm not without some computer saavy)

Did you use a visible or invisible counter? (I don't see yours shown)

What part/Where in your blog did you put the statcounter code? Did you just put it in a post? (Doesn't this stop counting after the post goes into your archive?)

Thanks for any time & help you can offer.

Duncan.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Dunks said...

Just posting to answer my own question... :)

Naturally, I posted the answer & instructions on my blog. The post is:
http://dunksicle.blogspot.com/2006/10/cr-displaying-stats-on-your-blog.html

Hope that helps.

Duncan.

8:24 PM  
Blogger wasim said...

nice invention....!

Work From Home India

1:26 PM  
Anonymous ray ban uk said...

It will arduous to find knowledgeable individuals on this subject, but you sound like you recognize what you are speaking about! Thanks

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Back to main page of this blog